sabato 10 giugno 2017

May and June 9, 2017

Hello, Everyone!

I'm not really sure how the blogs got weirdly dated, but that's ok, I'll just write it with May and June here.

I can't believe that there is only about one month left of exchange! The time is seriously flying by and I don't like it. I am so excited to see my friends and family and eat Cheetos, but I feel like I am leaving an amazing life that I have made for myself here in Italy. I have friends and family and I have a place I feel comfortable being in. I know that when I leave Italy, it will be much more difficult than it was when I was leaving New York because I don't know when I will be able to return. It really is a stomach wrenching feeling, however, I am so grateful for the me that I have become here in exchange. I have felt myself grow and experience a life that I never would have known if I hadn't have come here. My friend (from Italy) was talking to me the other day about after I go and he said, "don't worry, the world is so small!" and that's when I realized that he was right. The world is so small, but so many think the opposite. The more you expose yourself to new places, people, and things that are different than the bubble of comfort you have been in your whole life, the more you will realize that the world isn't vast or unknown, in fact, it's quite the opposite. The only thing that separates us, is separation. The only thing that is holding us back is ourselves. People that live on the other side of the world from my comfort bubble have forever changed my life.

During this month, I was lucky enough to go with my class to Barcelona, Spain! We took a plane to Spain and spent the week there. It was absolutely amazing! The architecture in Barcelona is like nothing I have ever seen before. The buildings were so unique and the city old yet modern at the same time with so many hidden gems! It was absolutely an experience that I won't forget with a group of people that are very special to me.

For mother's day, I went to my host grandparent's house for an amazing lunch. And because all of my host families are related, I was able to spend the day with all three of my host mothers!

The last day of school also came and went. And I am very grateful to the school for the support and understanding that they gave to me above all during my first few months. They really are a very special group of people.

During this month I have also done lots of exploring and beach finding. Near my house there is a beautiful area that over looks the sea, and my friends and I went on an amazing walk, and found a (safe, don't worry) place to cliff jump and swim!

The last, district wide, meeting also occurred this month. At this meeting we were able to meet the other outbounds. I even found a boy that will be doing a brief exchange in Syracuse, his name is Eugenio!

Next, this month, my friend Francesco invited me and a few other people to his house and we made pasta! Then we also made sauce of pistachio and then after we went out for gelato! It was a very fun evening!

The day after, there was an even that is held every year that is hosted by the art school as a type of fund raiser. There is a big lot of open land, and everyone goes there and there is music and when you're there you buy bottles of (body) paint. The you basically get the paint everywhere and dance, and all of the money spent on the paint goes to the school!

The week after that, a few exchange students and I went to a small island off the coast of Sicily, however still in Sicily, called Lipari because there is a girl doing exchange there that wanted to show us her exchange life. It was absolutely AMAZING! We went to pumice stone beaches and explored the island, went to a rotary dinner on the roof of a hotel on top of the mountain that overlooks the island, and we also went to an island right next to Lapari that is very famous because it is a volcano. We hiked to the top of the volcano and overlooked what felt like the whole world. Then we went to a natural spa that is hot and has sulfur deposits in it from the volcano....... it was great, but I STILL smell like eggs....The day after though, was very difficult because it was the last day we will be able to see the other exchange students from other cities, but I know that we will meet again. We also went for a swim at a black sand beach!!

This past weekend, I also had the honor of graduating with my class!! I got a certificate and everything! It was such a surprise!!!

Then, just last night, I had my play that I was in! I didn't have a big part, but I had a part nonetheless. The play was "Mamma Mia!" and it was a blast!! A lot of my friends came to support me, and after we all went out for pizza. I was very grateful for the experience of theater in a different country!









These were all from Barcelona!


A pic of my class on the last day of school!




Near the cliff jumping place, not here though... toooo shallowww


Color art day!


The pasta squad!


One of my best friends here, Simone. This was from our graduation, he mentioned me in his speech.


Last orientation!


My best friend and I in Lipari


Black sand beach


Lipari






All from the play








From the top of the Volcano!!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento